I’m not sure if you are aware, but I love coffee. In fact, I can’t go more than a couple of hours without coffee (I’m aware of how sad that is.) So you can imagine how upset I was when my old faithful coffee pot broke down.
My first instinct was to throw it out because I was so angry and I had no idea what I wanted to do with a broken coffee pot. Because y’all know I wasn’t about to throw it out because I am The Creative Recycler!
After going through the 5 stages of grief (and after purchasing a new coffee maker), I got over myself and started brainstorming what I could do with my former love.
This is how my thought process went down…
- Spray paint it, fill it with something heavy and make a book end
- Fill it with dirt and make a planter
- Turn it into a chicken waterer
- Incorporate it into some modern art
- Let my teenager take it apart for his collection of electric parts
- Turn it into a water fountain
- Give up and recycle the parts
Then it came to me… I had recently turned my son’s old fish bowl into a terrarium for my succulents. And we are an animal-loving household. So I decided that our kitchen needed its very own fish bowl in the shape of a coffee pot.
A coffee pot dwelling pet?!
YES! I named him Latte.
Here’s how I made a new home for my beautiful betta fish, Latte:
- I cut the cord off the coffee maker and stuck the entire coffee maker into the dishwasher.
- After it came out I painted over all the dull off-white with an eye popping blue acrylic craft paint. (I love, love, love bright blues!)
- Next I coated the acrylic paint with some good old ModPodge Hard Coat.
- Once that had dried, I rinsed some aquarium gravel and little plants and arranged them just so in the carafe part of the coffee maker.
- I filled the carafe with filtered water and added our little red guy, Latte.
- I keep Latte’s food and supplies in the water reservoir of the coffee maker.
- I feed him once daily.
He seems pretty happy in there swimming around. And I’m happy watching him.
Tell me what you think… would you keep a fish in a coffee maker?